Time has passed. It’s been months since my last M’m! M’m! Monday! A lot has sure happened. And now, here I am at one of my favorite places in our new house: My “sit down, catch up, tell stories, laugh, play games, decorate cookies, dine, and type a blog post table”. OK, ok, we’ll just call it the dining room table for short.
I love everything about this spot! I love the long table, comfortable chairs, the inviting colors, rustic textures, and the soft light that filters through the curtains. I love that it’s the center of our home. But most of all, I love that it beckons to be gathered in.
A gathering place. A place where friendship is offered, love is shared, and memories made. Where new recipes are served, celebrations had, and plans are formed. A place to talk over the day, remember times past, and hope for tomorrow. A place where hands are held, heads are bowed, and prayers are said.
There seem to be so many things pulling people apart these days. It saddens me. I worry about our future. What if instead of moving further apart, we made more of an effort to get together, to create more gathering places? What if the line at the grocery store, the bleachers in the gym, or the waiting room at the dentist office could become a place of camaraderie and encouragement? It doesn’t take a “sit down, catch up, tell stories, laugh, play games, decorate cookies, dine, and type a blog post table” to create a gathering place; it just takes a smile, an outstretched hand, or a kind word to draw others in.
Our new home is such a blessing to us. I don’t want it to stop there though. The desire of my heart is for it to be a gathering place; a place where others feel served and treasured, find respite and renewal, and feel just as blessed to be here, as I do!
And now here is an easy recipe that’s sure to bring them to the table! You can’t go wrong with Oreos!
- 22 Oreo cookies
- 2-8 oz. packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp.vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Place 16 paper liners in muffin tins.
- Put one whole Oreo in the bottom of each lined cup.
- In a large bowl, use a mixer to beat the cream cheese until it's smooth. Add the sugar and beat until combined. Mix in the vanilla and the add the eggs until blended. Beat in the sour cream and salt. Do not overmix.
- Coarsely chop the 6 Oreos that are left and stir in to the cream cheese mixture.
- Divide the batter among the cookie-lined cups filling each almost to the top.
- Bake until the filling is set, about 22 minutes.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool completely inside the muffin tins.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.
- *I topped each individual cheesecake with some whipped cream and a little crushed Oreo to serve.