What would you say if I told you that I have a recipe for you today that’s called a “Salad” but tastes like a “Dessert”? Woo Hoo is my response! Remember eating Cracker Jack and finding a prize in the bottom? Who doesn’t love a “Buy One Get One” sale or qualifying for a free upgrade? We humans know what we want and like it much better when we get even more!
Before I got married I had three qualities I was looking for in a husband. Are you ready? Older than me. Taller than me. Could sing. (I know, you can roll your eyes. I was young) Guess what? I married a man who’s younger, shorter, and mmmm….not quite the singer I’d imagined. But guess what else? I got much more! A man of faith, a good provider, and a man that shows his love for me by making my coffee every morning! (That’s better than a singer any day!)
So, what about me? Us? If we like getting more, and we do; shouldn’t we be giving more? If we’re looking to find a prize inside or get two for the price of one; shouldn’t WE be offering the same to the world? To our family? Thinking about it, I must admit, I don’t always give my best self to the ones I love the most. I’m pretty sure my kids have wished for a mom upgrade a time or two! In these days of sadness, hate, and just plain tasteless behavior; we need to stop and ask ourselves: are we being “a salad that tastes like a dessert”? Are we going above and beyond? Providing an unexpected richness to those around us? Are we making the effort to be the upgrade people aren’t anticipating? I want to try. I wish we all would. Whether its a smile, touch, or kind word. A door held, an opening into traffic offered, or patience in a long line. An apology, an invitation, or forgiveness. Wherever we go, with whomever we meet; let’s be what we want to see in others, but not stop there. Let’s be the prize… the real deal… the dessert…. I’m guessing, if we work at it, WE’LL be the ones getting more than we ever expected!
“Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses? Jesus replied, “‘You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.'” Matthew 22:36-39 (NLT)
Now, on to this recipe! I recently sent this salad with my “young” husband for a work event. The bowl came home empty and he had requests for the recipe. Let me know what you think of it. As usual, it’s easy and delicious. So go ahead! Have your dessert (salad) and eat it too!
- 1 container of Cool Whip (Lite is fine)
- 1 box of Jello Instant Cheesecake Pudding
- 3 containers of Strawberry Yogurt (I use Dannon)
- 16 oz. of fresh strawberries, sliced
- Miniature marshmallows (I use about a half of bag)
- Mix the first three ingredients together thouroughly and refrigerate at least an hour (can be overnight). When you are ready to serve, add strawberries and marshmallows. Stir to blend. I top with a few slices of strawberry in the middle.
- ***The last time I made this, I couldn't find the cheesecake pudding mix so I bought a Jello No Bake Cheesecake mix and used the powdered cheesecake in it. Also, the original recipe calls for sliced bananas in addition to the strawberries. I usually make this to take somewhere and bananas don't hold up, so I just leave them out.
- ***I think this would be good with raspberry yogurt and raspberries or blueberry yogurt and blueberries, too.