Can you believe that June is almost over and Independence Day is a week away? It’s been a busy month here! Our grandson turned one. I went on a mountain retreat to celebrate a dear friend’s retirement. We enjoyed the wedding of my daughter’s best friend on our 33rd anniversary. We’ve pretty much celebrated the month away!
I’m going to make this short and sweet tonight because as busy as my June has been I’m sure yours was full, too and you don’t have time to read the wandering words of this chaotic mind. So, let’s think Fourth of July for a minute. It’s a weekend full of parades, picnics, and fireworks. There’ll be hotdogs on the grill, cool watermelon slices, and ice cream churned by hand. Flags will be flying, horseshoes tossed, and “I’m Proud to Be an American” will play on the radio. We’ll laugh, light sparklers, and hug family members. We’ll celebrate the holiday away!
In the midst of all our fun, let’s not forget that there are service men and women who instead of celebrating are putting their lives on the line, fighting for the freedom we so often take for granted. Let’s take time to gather together and say a prayer for those brave soldiers and for their families who try to carry on even though there’s a person missing at their picnic table. And at days end as we gaze into the night sky watching the trails of light dance between the stars; may the music fill our souls, singing: “Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land, God Bless the U.S.A.!”
Need an idea what to take to the picnic? Here’s an old standby all decked out for the Fourth!
- 1 10.5 oz. bag of mini marshmallows or approximately 40 large marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Red Velvet cake mix (the more cake mix the redder the treats)
- 6 cups Rice Krispy cereal
- Red, White, and Blue sprinkles (if you want to add a little pizazz)
- Spray pam generously in a 9 x 13 pan and on a spatula.
- Melt butter and marshmallows over low heat, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Add vanilla and cake mix until blended.
- Remove from heat and stir in cereal until evenly coated.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Press down with prepared spatula.
- Shake sprinkles over top if you choose.
- Cool and cut into squares.