I’d like to talk about toilet paper…..well actually, the lack there of! I don’t know why it is, but it seems every time I’m in need of some, the roll is empty. Upstairs in the middle of the night; two squares barely covering the cardboard roll. Downstairs when I first wake up; one lone sheet dangles precariously. And Sunday? Out to lunch after church, waiting in line for the ladies room. One occupant emerges, another goes in. She emerges, I go in. WHAT??? Another empty roll! Can’t anyone but me fill the toilet paper dispenser?
As usual, this got me to thinking….that’s right people, toilet paper…. about being empty and getting filled. I hate to admit this but my faith often wears thin and I feel I can barely cover all that I’m facing. At other times I worry, am fearful, or discouraged and feel as if I’m left to dangle on my own. More times than I’d like to admit, I’ve looked to others to do something I’m obviously suppossed to do but am low on confidence and afraid I’ll fail. In each situation a change is in order. Trying to do everything; face everything on my own just leaves me empty, spinning, and unable to get the job done. I need to be filled!
“I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have the power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know that surpasses all knowledge – that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” Ephesians 3:16-19 (NIV)
Being unwound and empty is a human condition. One I’m all too familiar with! Have you been there? “Strengthen, power, love……fullness.” “Dwell, rooted, grasp…..filled“. How amazing it is that we don’t have to stay that way! God is waiting for our invitation to have Him fill our empty places with that wide, long, high, and deep love and not just fill but give until we’re overflowing!
So the next time I’m face to face with a cardboard tube instead of a full roll, (and I’m sure there’ll be a next time), I’m going to try and whine less and remember Who it is that I can count on to fill me up as many times as needed!
Now, speaking of being filled; if you remember last Monday I vowed to try some healthy recipes. I usually associate “healthy” with leaving me hungry and needing more to fill me up. Not so with this healthy, (even though bacon is involved) easy, chicken skillet meal. I think I’m on a “roll”! Get it?
- 3 slices of the bacon of your choice
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (I didn't know these guys existed, but sure enough found them in the chicken section of the meat department)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound asparagus, trim the ends
- 2 small yellow summer squash, sliced
- 4-6 green onions, thinly sliced
- Coursely cut bacon slices (I used my kitchen shears) into a 12" skillet.
- Lay chicken on top of bacon, salt and pepper to taste. Cook on medium high heat for 12-16 minutes, turning halfway until browned.
- Add broth and onions to skillet and cook five minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, combine asparagus, squash, and two tablespoons of water in a microwave safe dish. (I also salt and peppered them)
- Cover with plastic wrap and using a knife, cut evenly placed vent holes.
- Cook on high power for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Combine vegetables with chicken mixture and serve.
- Makes 4 servings.