It’s my grand baby’s birthday today! One year old! Just imagine all he’s experienced in those twelve months! Some good, some bad, and all the in-between! He’s learned so many new things! Walking, chattering, picking up small objects; just to name a few, and he’s becoming more independent by the minute. I’m still waiting to hear his sweet voice say “MiMi”, but when his little hand reaches out to me, my heart melts.
Of course, we had a big celebration over the weekend with balloons, streamers, presents, lots of food, and cake, can’t forget the cake!
Summer is just around the corner so our party food was typical summer fare: hot dogs, hamburgs, potato salad, and baked beans. Everything was delicious but I must tell you the baked bean dish was clean when the party was over. They were mighty fine if I may say so myself! So, somewhere in the midst of the good, the bad, and all the in-between of life celebrate by taking a little time to enjoy a picnic meal with family and friends. Reach out your hand to let someone know they’re appreciated by inviting them for a summer feast or if you need a dish to take along to a poolside get together try this easy recipe for baked beans! And DON’T forget the cake! Enjoy!
- 6 bacon slices
- 1 onion, diced
- 64 oz. pork and beans
- 1 cup root beer (not diet)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Fry bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove and drain on paper towels.
- Saute diced onion in hot bacon drippings over high heat until tender. (maybe 5 minutes)
- Combine pork and beans, root beer, BBQ sauce, dry mustard,and hot sauce.
- Crumble bacon into mixture.
- Using a slotted spoon remove onions from drippings and add to beans. Stir well.
- Pour into a lightly greased 9X13 pan.
- Bake uncovered for 55 minutes or until sauce is thick and bubbling.